Forest Green Rovers pushed Bournemouth to the wire, holding the Premier League side in 90 minutes and only losing through the lottery of a penalty shootout.

After a goalless draw in normal time at the Vitality Stadium, Mark Travis saved three penalties for Bournemouth to send the Cherries through to the third round of the Carabao Cup.

Jordon Ibe missed for the hosts but successful kicks from Joshua King, Dominic Solanke and Philip Billing ensured there would be no cup shock.

The magnitude of this Forest Green performance cannot be underestimated with Bournemouth boasting stars Harry Wilson, 19 million striker Solanke, Callum Wilson and Josh King posting 55 international caps between them.

Earlier,  boss Mark Cooper stuck to his cup rotation policy and brought in Dom Bernard, Nathan McGinley, James Morton, Junior Mondal and Matt Stevens in five changes to the team that shocked Bradford City on Saturday.

Matt Mills missed out after his red card last time out and younger sibling and Rovers’ captain Joseph Mills dropped to the bench with Farrend Rawson taking the captain’s armband.

Forest Green, who sit third in League Two, were on the back foot early on at Vitality Stadium.

Solanke linked up with Wilson before the England striker fired off target. Wilson then sent a long ball through to Jordon Ibe, whose header was held by Joseph Wollacott in goal.

Wilson was the next Cherries man to fire goalwards, lining up a 25-yard free-kick from almost the exact spot he smashed in against Man City on Sunday, but this time the effort whistled over the crossbar.

It remained one-way traffic for much of the half with Jordon Ibe firing just past the post before being denied by Wollacott.

Energetic Stacey was a constant threat down the right and he shot at goal three times in quick succession, but could not find the breakthrough before the visitors went close to a shock lead.

Rawson headed on a Dayle Grubb corner towards Stevens, whose effort was stopped on the line by Travers.

Unable to work Wollacott in the opening 15 minutes of the second half, Howe turned to his bench to introduce Joshua King and Ryan Fraser in place of both Wilsons.

And the pair soon combined with the latter crossing for the striker, but he was crowded out as the Football League side held firm.

Cherries looked to have finally broken the resistance on 73 minutes. Stacey got in down the right and lashed across goal with his effort coming back off the inside of the post and somehow rebounding over the crossbar off King from inside the six-yard box.

Howe’s charges turned the screw with Solanke holding off his marker minutes later after connecting with Fraser’s deep cross, but Wollacott got down well to save with his feet.

Sensing another cup upset, Cooper’s Rovers earned a corner with nine minutes to play, which fell for Kitching, whose shot on the spin flashed just wide of the post. And Forest Green had arguably a better opportunity minutes later when Surman’s sloppy touch allowed a three-on-one attack, but a heavy pass saw Mepham recover to clear.

With just six minutes to play, Howe made his last roll of the dice with Philip Billing replacing Kilkenny, and the Dane almost grabbed a winner, connecting with a Fraser corner but he was unable to get any power behind his effort.

Fraser delivered again moments later and his cross was powerfully met by King with Wollacott equal to the header.

Deep into three minutes added time, Taylor Allen looked to curl in a dramatic winner for the visitors, but Travers watched the ball bounce just off target as the game went to penalties.

Cherries took control of the shoot-out from the start in front of the South Stand with King and Solanke netting and Travers twice diving low to tip away efforts from Joseph Mills and Kevin Dawson.

Ibe was then denied but after Travers thwarted James Morton, Billing stepped up to slam in the winning kick.

Bournemouth: Travers; Stacey, Mepham, Simpson, Rico; H Wilson (King, 61), Kilkenny (Billing, 84), Surman, Ibe; C Wilson (Fraser, 61), Solanke.

Unused subs: Ake, Ofoborh, Dobre, Ramsdale (g/k).

Forest Green: Wollacott; Bernard, Godwin-Malife, Rawson, Kitching, McGinley; Mondal (Mills, 78), Dawson, Morton, Grubb (Adams, h-t); Stevens (Allen, 62).

Unused subs: McCoulsky, Winchester, Collins, Thomas (g/k).

Booked: Kitching.

Referee: Dean Whitestone Attendance: 9,657 Away fans: 651