Slimbridge 4-1 Mangotsfield United

SLIMBRIDGE manager Lee Driver-Dickerson made a couple of changes to last week’s winning side, Rhys Sarson returning from injury and Danny King preferred on the right side of midfield, writes Rob Peck.

It was Mangotsfield that started the game on the front-foot winning a free-kick in the first minute of the game 25 yards outside the Swans' box. Thomas Hillman stepped up and fired the ball inside the left post and into the net with Joe Wright beaten.

Two minutes later it could have been two, Sacha Tong evaded the home defence as Wright came out he missed the ball however Ioan Richards was on hand to make the tackle and clear the imminent danger.

Slimbridge came back into the game. Dan King floating a free -kick into the opposition box Rhys Sarson heading it wide. The Swans were level on 11 minutes. Sol Wanjau-Smith on the left pushed the ball right to Ryan Beckinsale who passed to Sarson in space on the right, firing the ball under keeper Marko Radovanovik from just inside the area.

A minute later a mix-up at the back between Radovanovik and one of his defenders almost allowed Danny King a chance but they managed to clear, King then fired a shot at the keeper.

On 18 minutes a moment of drama unfolded that resulted in a goal for the home side. Wanjau-Smith burst into the box on the left, keeper Radovanovik rushed out diving at the feet of the striker, both players going down in a heap. Wanjau-Smith got to his feet and chipped the ball over the defender on the line who appeared to handle the ball on its entry to the net.

The goal was given by referee Dean Steatham, unfortunately Radovanovik suffered a nasty injury in the clash and after a lengthy delay was taken from the field on a stretcher for further treatment. Outfield player Lee Hartshorn came off the bench and took over the goalkeeping duties for the visitors.

Just past the half-hour mark, Lewis Saunders fired over the bar then five minutes later Richards headed away a Mangotsfield corner only for the ball to be fired back into the box with Wright claiming in the air.

Mangotsfield continued to press, Kristian Lee firing over then Hillman shooting wide of the post. Three minutes into stoppage-time, Tong found Saunders in space and his effort was saved well by Wright, pushing it out for a corner. Kearney headed the corner wide for the visitors. Joel White did well to make a late tackle in the box as a Mangotsfield striker was about to shoot.

With six of the 15 minutes of first-half stoppage-time gone, Wanjau-Smith hit the wall with a free-kick 30 yards outside the visitors box, the ball going out for a corner. Ryan Beckinsale was first to react in the box heading the corner into the net, giving the Swans a two-goal lead. The home side lost Wanjau-Smith to injury just before the break, Leighton Tuodolo replacing the winger.

The second-half started slowly, both sides trying to pass the ball around, Tuodolo, with the ball on the left, whipped in a cross that was headed away for a Swans throw in. Makeshift keeper Hartshorn pulled off a good save to tip Sarson's effort onto the post and away for a corner. Tuodolo then hit the post with Hartshorn beaten after some good build up play from Sarson. Slimbridge extended their lead on 75 minutes - a solo effort from King, running in from the right wing to beat a couple of defenders and shooting across the goal into the net at the far post. A minute later Wright was called into action punching the ball clear from a Mangotsfield free-kick, the follow up going wide.

In the last minute of normal time, Hartshorn pulled off a spectacular save to push Beckinsale’s shot over the bar as it looked to be heading into the top corner.

Next up for the Swans is a midweek trip to league leaders Frome Town followed by a return trip to Mangotsfield next Saturday this time in the Buildbase FA Trophy.

Slimbridge: Wright, Goodall, Peck, M Turner (84 Horrell), White, Richards, King, D Turner, Sarson (70 Hawes), Beckinsale, Wanjau-Smith (45+14 Tuodolo) Unused subs: C Turner, Chambers Mangotsfield: Radovanovik, Dix, Tanner, Lee, Kearney, Ilea, McGrane, Saunders, Tong, Brookes, Hillman Attendance: 125 Supporters' man of the match: Myron Turner