Bideford 4-1 Slimbridge

SLIMBRIDGE’S play-off hopes went off track as Bideford came out on top, writes Rob Peck.

The Swans started brightly enough – Will Peck going close from a Sol Wanjau-Smith free-kick.

It was the home side that took the lead on 9 minutes, a long throw from Ben Wood on the left found Archie Reay in space at the back post to head into the net.

A good spell of pressure from the visitors followed, Wanjau-Smith firing over from 20 yards then Peck’s cross was spilled and then gathered by Liam Kingston under pressure from Rhys Sarson. Myron Turner looked to be going for goal, but James Mayne defended well to stop the Slimbridge front man.

Bideford then took control of the game for the last 25 minutes of the first half, Wood managed to get past Callum Jones and Aaron Nesbeth but his shot sailed wide. A minute later Lewis Adams did well to parry Woods shot as it went over his head, Nesbeth clearing the ball in front of the line to safety.

Peck conceded a free-kick on the edge of the box after a rare mistake from Jones almost let Bideford in. The kick was struck against the visitors well place wall. A flurry of corners for the home side saw Adams block the first then Mayne headed wide.

Just on the stroke of half-time the home side doubled their lead, a free kick 40 yards out was knocked into the box to an unmarked Ryan Turner and with the Slimbridge defence watching he slotted past Adams with ease.

An early second half effort from Jack Rice-Lathaby fell to Adams, then a corner for Bideford saw the initial clearance come back in and deflected wide. On 52 minutes Downing’s shot across goal escaped Adams clutches but Nesbeth did well to clear the ball off the line.

As the game approached the hour mark, Dion Chambers tried his luck from 35 yards but failed to hit the target. The Swans gained a corner taken short by Wanjau- Smith who received the ball back and was tripped as he tried to make a move down the left. The initial free-kick was punched clear by Kingston before Mike Ford follow up found its way into Kingston’s hands.

On 64 minutes the visitors pulled a goal back, birthday boy Nesbeth collected the ball from Chambers and after beating two defenders found the far corner of the net, his first goal in Slimbridge colours.

The comeback only lasted 6 minutes as Ryan Turner tapped in from close range after Adams had spilled a long- range free kick. The home side secured the points in injury time when Turner intercepted the ball after a mix up at the back to fire into an empty net and complete his hat-trick.

Slimbridge face second placed Frome Town at Thornhill Park on Saturday, 3pm.

Slimbridge: Adams, Nesbeth, Peck, Ford (Horrell 64), White, Jones, Spruce (Martin 74), Chambers, Sarson, M Turner, Wanjau-Smith

Subs not used: Maye, Giles

Attendance: 235

Supporters’ man-of-the-match: Aaron Nesbeth