Forest Green were held to a 1-1 draw, against a lively Port Vale side, in a match that saw them net both goals.

Rovers went behind after 34 minutes after veteran striker Tom Pope’s effort was deflected into the visitor’s net by the unfortunate Chris Stokes.

On 41 minutes the scores were levelled after a fine twist and move from Aaron Collins enabled him to rifle his effort into the top corner of the Port Vale net.

The draw extended Rovers' unbeaten run in the league to six matches.

Rovers had a handful of opportunities to take all three points and Mark Cooper recognised his side should’ve converted more than one.

Speaking to BBC Radio Gloucestershire, he said: “We didn’t play as well but saying that we had two golden opportunities in the first half.

“If you don’t take those you kind of know it’s going to be a long evening.”

As well as letting good chances go to waste, the Rovers boss felt that his team’s decision making let them down during the contest.

“I felt it was an open game,” he said. “We made a lot of wrong decisions in possession of the ball around their box.”

The Valiants looked a danger throughout the match and Cooper admitted that his side’s opposition posed a threat.

“You have to credit the opposition, I thought they were very good."

“They’ve beaten Cheltenham here; they’ve beaten Exeter and, on their day, they are very lively and dangerous team.”

In form striker Jamille Matt was substituted early on in the second half and Cooper was able to explain his departure.

He said: “He felt his thigh in the first half so we’re just hoping it’s not a thigh strain and it’s just a little bit of cramp.

“We missed him because I thought he was outstanding in the first half; he just keeps the ball at that end of the pitch for you and we need him fit.”

Rovers defender Liam Kitching was again absent from the match day squad and hasn’t featured since the victory over Harrogate at the start of the month - Cooper once again insisted the 21-year-old isn’t injured.

“He’s not been involved and he wasn’t involved on Saturday,” he stated.

“He wasn’t injured and he’s not ill.”

Forest Green next face a visit from second placed Carlisle and the Rovers manager knows it will be a tough test.

“Every game is a challenge,” he added.

“As you’ve seen tonight, every game is a challenge but we will really relish it and we will really look forward to it because it should be a good game of football.

Carlisle travel to the Innocent New Lawn on Saturday afternoon.