Forest Green were held to a 0-0 draw against Exeter City on Tuesday evening to remain in sixth spot in League Two.

However, don’t let the score line deceive you; this was a stalemate that was full of attacking promise, controversy and two sides who fought until the very end for three points.

Ebou Adams had an excellent opportunity on nine minutes to score for the second successive game.

The midfielder displayed good strength as he won the ball on the edge of the Exeter box to run one-on-one with Jökull Andrésson but the visiting keeper made a fine stop with his legs to keep the scores level.

Aaron Collins very nearly found the net with a fine speculative effort on 18 minutes.

After bringing the ball down under pressure, the forward took aim on the swivel from 25-yards but hit the outside of the post with his effort.

Forest Green had two penalty appeals waved away in quick succession just before the half-an-hour mark – what looked to be a clear Exeter handball was ignored first and then Scott Wagstaff’s tumble following a collision with the goalkeeper was also deemed acceptable by referee Bobby Madley.

The controversial decisions, or lack thereof, didn’t stop at that – Dom Bernard appeared to be clipped inside the six-yard box after smartly being played in but once again his and Rovers’ appeals were dismissed.

Exeter appeared quickest out of the blocks for the second period of play and should have taken the lead on 48 minutes. A looping corner was able to find substitute Pierce Sweeney at the back post but the defender headed marginally wide from close.

Exeter’s top scorer Matty Jay nearly added to his impressive 17 league goals this season but for some bright goalkeeping from Luke McGee. On 57 minutes, Jay ran in behind the Rovers backline but this time it was McGee’s legs who kept the scores even.

Collins looked lively in attack during the contest and continued to knock on Exeter’s door. Just after the hour mark, he took aim once more from outside the box but flashed his effort wide of the bottom left corner of visitor’s net.

Forest Green substitute Jayden Richardson came agonisingly close to finding an opener on 76 minutes. Odin Bailey’s corner evaded everyone in the box but Richardson was able to let fly just inside the box but saw his effort rifle off the underside of the bar and bounce away from danger.