A 4-0 win over local rivals Olveston United was not enough for Thornbury Town Reserves to clinch the Bristol & District Division One title.

Town, who had their promotion confirmed last month, needed to win and hope Bristol Barcelona dropped points.

And while Thorns did their bit, a 2-1 win for the Bristol side ensured their finished one point better off.

Thornbury’s win did ensure they finished the season as the league’s top goals scorers and had the best defensive record - only conceding 14 goals in 24 matches.

Town started the better side and saw the ball hit the net only for it to be ruled out for a tight offside. Manager’s player of the season Henry Bennett almost netted his first of the season when he dribbled passed five home team players, but his last touch was overhit and did not allow him a shot on goal.

Cam Drew curled a free kick into the keepers hands before Matt Constable opened the scoring. A driven shot from the edge of the box curled into the bottom the corner leaving the home keeper with no chance.

Although Town played the majority of the game in the Olveston half they were fairly lucky to go in at half-time with a 1-0 lead.

At the start of the second half Town made two substitutions and changed formation, giving them more control in the centre of the park. This change had an early impact when Jake Budd and Matt Constable linked up down the right hand side, the latter set up Harrison Young who was bought down in the box.

His penalty was parried in by the home keeper.

After a period of defending deep, Drew played in Young with a 40-yard pass. He took on his man and fired a left-footed effort passed the keeper to make it 3-0.

Town continued to press and substitute James Cooke almost added a fourth when he headed wide from close range. Another substitute, Jake Budd, did make it four after a rocket from the edge of the box nestled into the top corner.

George Huke almost made it five when he volleyed just wide at the back post and James Cooke again went close when he volleyed just over after a rebounded free kick.

The game fizzled out and remained 4-0 to ensure Town won the derby match but unfortunately it wasn’t enough to earn top spot in the league.

Town pushed Bristol Barcelona all the way but the only unbeaten side this season just did enough to secure title on the last day of the season.