Thornbury survived a late onslaught to win at Gordano as the visitors stretched their winning run to four matches on Friday night.

Gordano were seeking a first win since January and they enjoyed the early possession but Thorns were able to absorb the pressure before eventually breaking the deadlock.

The away side were not at their fluent best but after a period of pick-and-go on the Gordano line, Jay Burley crashed over for the game's first score, which Jack Pinker converted.

On the stroke of half-time, Thorns doubled their lead. Max Harper disrupted a Gordano lineout five metres from the line. They failed to control the ball and Henry Low picked it up and dived over. Pinker’s conversion heralded the halftime whistle with Thornbury leading 14-0.

Thornbury continued their recent habit of starting the second half slowly and Gordano made the most of that and after seven minutes, opened their account when they scored an unconverted try.

At the end of the third quarter, Mike Priday sprinted down the touchline in a run from his own ‘22’. His kick ahead was defended by Gordano’s cover but Thorns were now deep in the Somerset club’s ‘22’.

They extended their lead shortly afterwards when their dominant scrum forced Gordano to infringe on their line and the referee awarded a penalty try. Thorns led 21-5.

Those anticipating Thornbury would turn the screw and register further scores were dismayed to see Gordano dominate the final quarter.

Their forwards scored a second try and the conversion gave the scoreline a different complexion. When they added a penalty a few minutes later to bring the score to 21-15, the hosts were within a converted try of the lead.

The Gordano pack carried hard for the remaining few minutes, but Thorns held out. The final whistle went with Thornbury camped on their line tackling everything that moved.

On the Saturday, Thornbury 2s were in action as they delivered their best performance of the season to crush unbeaten league leaders BAC in a fine game of attacking rugby.

Thorns had the bonus-point wrapped up by half-time before going on to run riot in a 54-26 victory.