Tribute South West One West

Keynsham 24 Thornbury 19

THORNBURY came unstuck in a tough game on a sticky pitch at Keynsham and slipped to their sixth defeat in the last eight league games.

However they secured their seventh losing bonus point, and with other results going their way move up one place to sixth in the table.

Thornbury kicked off on a very cold afternoon under heavy clouds in almost twilight. Good early pressure saw a charge through midfield by Louis Ogilvie but his pass was intercepted close to the line and the threat was cleared.

Keynsham withstood the early storm then their forwards began to take control and after the pack picked and drove on the Thornbury line the defence cracked and the scrum half scored a converted try.

Thornbury equalised as the first quarter drew to a close. Thorns attacked from a scrum on halfway. Good passing and a looped from Sam Poustie set Ogilvie clear. He stepped around his opposing winger and ran around to score a fine try between the posts. Jake Wood converted for 7-7.

Keynsham’s pack scored a second converted try after Thorns had knocked on in their ‘22’ for a 14-7 lead. Then Keynsham gathered the restart and attacked from their own ‘22’ but the passing was telegraphed allowing Poustie to intercept and run in for Thorns’ second try. Wood’s conversion tied the scores.

Late in the half the Keynsham pack applied further pressure on the Thornbury line and the left wing was put in for an unconverted try. Keynsham led 19-14 at half time.

Early in the second half Thornbury equalised for a third time when the forwards drove Harry Tarling over the Keynsham line from a driving lineout. The conversion was just short but the momentum was with Thornbury. They continued to attack but some of the tactical kicking was poor.

Jake Goodridge and George Maggs combined to open up the Keynsham defence and took play to the home goal line but were unable to clear the ruck quickly enough and Keynsham were able to relieve the pressure. It was the closest Thornbury would get.

With ten minutes remaining Keynsham scored again through their forwards. Although trailing 24-19 Thorns knew a converted try would win the match but the game was now being played in almost total darkness and they were unable to break through and Keynsham hung on to win.

Thorns weren’t good enough on the day. They made several mistakes and took wrong options whilst in the second half they had sufficient possession and territory to have won comfortably but weren’t able to open a well-organised defence. They had shown in the first half they had the beating of Keynsham out wide but didn’t move the ball to the wings on sufficient occasions and were snuffed out in midfield. When the bigger and bulkier Keynsham pack had the opportunity they bullied their way to the line.

Thornbury travel to Launceston on Saturday for the first of the return fixtures.

Thornbury scorers: tries –Ogilvie, Poustie, Tarling; conversions –Wood (2)