Thornbury Squash news

AFTER last week’s narrow defeat at champions Redland, Thornbury A played hosts to Shepton Mallet A.

With a title charge in mind, Thornbury grabbed the game from the get go with captain Brad Jenkins winning 3-1 and Ryan Wilson dispatching his opponent with minimum fuss 3-0.

Jeremy Harris battled hard at number one string to take his match 3-1 and secure victory for the team.

With the match secured, Sam Davidson stepped up to add further misery to Shepton’s night in an utterly ruthless performance blasting through his opponent 3-0 in double quick time, brother Callum Davidson then completed the rout in style dismantling his bewildered opponent 3-0.

The final match score being 19-2 to Thornbury closing the gap on league leaders Redland to three points.

Thornbury B travelled to Workout Harbourside B and were focused on getting a win to cement their place in the Premier C division.

In-form Mark Toseland was up first and apart from a minor hiccup in the second game, powered through to win 3-1.

Captain Justin Edwards was too strong on the night and despite a slip up in losing 9-0 in the third game still won 3-1.

Alex Hall also played well and won comfortably 3-0.

With the overall match already won it was up to Alex Mcmillan and Chris Hutchence to do the business and finish the job but unfortunately they were both outplayed and lost 3-0.

It ended 13-7 which moves Thornbury B up to second place.

Thornbury C’s first game of the season was also away to Bristol Workout Harbourside versus their E team.

They had strong players in the top three positions all ranked in the top 150 of the league and despite valiant efforts from the Thornbury players no games were taken, Cliff Hall coming closest with a score of 9-10 in the third.

Fortunately, positions four and five were a more comparable standard and captain Ian Johnson and Mick Dixon were able to secure wins. The final match score was 14-6 to Harbourside.

Thornbury D hosted Kingswood U in their first match of the season. Nick Clifton stormed ahead against Mike Secker with a 9-0 first game victory only to lose 3-1 in a dramatic come back, a bitter pill to swallow as Secker sustained an injury in the third game and was allowed significantly longer than the regulation three minutes to recover by the Thornbury match referee. An inspirational performance by team captain Colin Preece saw him stage a remarkable comeback from 8-0 down in the first game to win 10-9 and go on to win his match 3-0. Graham Dono utilised local court knowledge to lob and drop his way to a 9-0, 9-0, 9-4 victory. Hope for a match win was in the air with Thornbury leading 2-1 and Pete Bowen racing into a 2-1 lead, however Bowen lost 3-2. Mark Dalziel also lost and Thornbury D went down by 13-9.