Tribute South West One West

Thornbury 66 Clevedon 12

THORNBURY sent Clevedon back along the M5 on the end of a severe beating in the Tribute South West One West.

The pace and ball-handling skills of Thornbury were the key factors as they demolished the bottom placed club in spectacular fashion.

Thorns scored ten tries and had the try bonus point in the bag before the end of the first quarter. Light drizzle fell as Thornbury kicked off downhill on a muddy pitch. Within a few seconds Thorns won a lineout, Jak Evans burst away and fed Tom Williams who powered through to score close to the posts. The conversion missed but Thorns were 5-0 after barely a minute.

Thorns played at great pace and the handling of forwards and backs was remarkable, particularly given the conditions. Clevedon defended desperately as waves of Thornbury attackers looked to score again. Thorns’ lightweight pack was dominating possession.

After ten minutes Sam Poustie cross-kicked to Rob Higgitt who kicked the ball ahead and Mike Beswick touched down. Jake Wood converted for a 12-0 lead.

The attacks were constant and from a solid scrum Thorns moved the ball into midfield where Harry Tarling drove for the line and Jack Hussey picked up and drove over. Wood added the extras.

The try bonus point was secured two minutes later when Thorns’ forwards and backs attacked in a multi-phase move. Harry Glew was tackled close to the line before moving it into midfield where Rich Bennett and Louis Osborne sent Evans crashing over close to the posts. Wood’s conversion put Thornbury 26-0 ahead and the first quarter was not over.

The second quarter began as had the first. Beswick made a glorious break in midfield to put Bennett in. Then Evans burst out of a maul before the ball was quickly moved for Wood to score in the corner. His outstanding conversion put Thornbury 40-0 ahead at half-time.

Clevedon started the second half on top and were awarded a penalty try following a collapsed scrum.

The restart enabled Thornbury to set about ripping holes in the Clevedon defence again. Wood launched another attack down the right, beat two men then passed inside for Glew to go over in the corner. Five minutes later, Bennett made another run and a clever pass from Tarling put Glew in by the posts. Wood converted for 52-7.

Clevedon scored a second try from a scrum then Wood ran back a clearing kick and created space for Alfie Richardson to squeeze over by the corner flag. Wood converted from the touchline.

From the restart, Thorns carved through in midfield and Poustie burst clear to score. Wood converted.

Thornbury launched further attacks and in last play Richardson had a devastating run but was unable to gather a kick ahead in-goal. The referee blew for the end of the match and Thorns had won 66-12.

Thornbury were in irresistible mood. The intensity, pace, focus and hunger was of the highest order and the commitment of the forwards to quell the Clevedon pack in the first half and secure loose ball in the second was outstanding. Thornbury’s back row was excellent.