Severn Valley League

Winterbourne United u16s 5 Randwick Youth 2

WINTERBOURNE United Under-16s entertained Randwick Youth at the Recreation Ground in a Severn Valley League fixture on a blustery Saturday morning as storm Brian hit and it was the Bourne who blew the visitors away with a very impressive home performance.

The game started with both teams struggling to settle in the windy conditions.

And it was the home team who created the first chance but were foiled when the visitors keeper rushed outside his box and handled the ball to receive a yellow card.

Randwick responded by creating a good opportunity when their striker broke clear of the home defence but his effort lacked accuracy and his shot sailed over the bar for a goal kick.

Winterbourne responded well and nearly took the lead when Sam Hopes followed up on the second ball as the keeper failed to hold onto the ball after an initial shot by the home team but Hopes cross goal effort went wide.

The home team were not to be denied however as they started to control the game and a cross from the right found the ball at Jack Millman feet at the back post who stayed composed to wrong foot the defender and slot the ball high into the roof of the net.

Bourne were soon two up as Oscar Graham who had come in from the right wing to the back post slotted home.

Randwick were struggling to get any foothold in the game and found themselves working hard to contain the waves of attack from the home team and they fell further behind after Sam Hopes grabbed his first goal of the game and he didn’t have to wait too long as he grabbed his second just before the break.

The second-half started as the weather took a turn for the worse but this did not stop Winterbourne and the soon got their fifth goal of the match when the ball came out to Sam Hopes on the edge of the penalty box who grabbed his hat trick with a fine shot into the far corner.

As the game progressed the home team made several changes and the game became a scrappy affair with neither team on top and both teams finding hard to keep possession.

The visitors grabbed a goal when they were awarded a free kick just outside the penalty box and from the resulting kick the ball beat Thorne in goal.

The visitors were then awarded a dubious penalty for hand ball which was converted to make the final score 5-2 to Winterbourne United.