Buildbase FA Trophy first qualifying round

Yate Town 0 Moneyfields 1

YATE Town crashed out of the Buildbase FA Trophy at the first qualifying round stage by the odd goal on Saturday.

The result looks a close run thing on paper but the visitors, who are unbeaten in Evo-Stik League South, East, created most of the best chances and could have won more convincingly.

It was a defensive error that settled the issue although, in the last few minutes, only a classy save from the Moneyfields goalkeeper avoided a midweek replay.

Yate were without youngsters Cameron Ebbutt and Ben Morgan, who have both returned to Bristol Rovers, and new signing Steve Davies who was cup-tied.

The deciding goal came after only ten minutes, a weak clearance from Mayson Evans fell conveniently into the path of Steve Hutchings who fired a low drive past Harvey Rivers.

Giancarlo Gabbiadini had a shot deflected into the side netting after a strong run down the left and later his teasing cross was well-defended by the visitors.

Moneyfields squandered a good opportunity to extend their lead just before the break when Ryan Pennery shot straight at Rivers after he had got into a good goal-scoring position following a mazy run into the box.

Yate started the second period brightly but could only produce efforts from long range.

Lewis Leigh-Gilchrist shot over, Theo Llewellyn had an effort held by Steve Mawthorpe in the Moneyfields goal and Chris Gregan fired wide of the post.

At the other end, Rivers had to back-pedal quickly to make a save when Hutchings spotted him off his line and later in the half, Pennery brushed the post and Jake Raine rattled the crossbar when they found space to shoot from the edge of the box.

With time running down, Eugene Keary, set up by Leigh-Gilchrist, unleashed a rising drive which Mawthorpe, making his only real save of the game, managed to get enough on the ball to turn it over the bar for a fruitless corner.

The defeat means that Yate’s involvement in both the FA Cup and Trophy is over for another season.