Gloucester Premier League

Frampton Cotterell 21 Chipping Sodbury 25

CHIPPING Sodbury came away from their Gloucester Premier League derby against Frampton Cotterell with a four-point victory on Saturday.

The opening few minutes were odd for the fact that the game never moved away from the halfway line.

When Frampton finally strung a few passes together and looked to attack, it all went wrong.

Sodbury’s rush defence surprised the hosts as they laboured their passes.

This gave Dom Pullen a chance. He intercepted the ball just five metres inside the Frampton half. He quickly got up to top speed, easily breaking the solo defender’s tackle on his way in to score which Dan Bradley converted.

Sodbury were back in the Frampton half, building phases, and their strike runners Matt Cook, Luke Balentine-Smith and Pete Butcher carried the ball well towards the try-line.

Eventually the volume of phases yielded a penalty in front of the posts as Bradley stepped up and easily slotted the three-pointer.

Sodbury were then guilty of relaxing. They failed to stop a line-out drive which went nearly twenty metres, setting-up a ten minute period of Frampton pressure which ultimately led to a converted try.

Sodbury pressurised the Frampton try-line as Jake Lewis’ flashing feet got the Frampton defence on alert on numerous occasions.

Tom Farthing was denied a try from a thundering run after Sodbury went through 12 phases.

As the first-half drew to a close, Frampton once again started to cause Sodbury problems.

Although their attack lacked width they displayed raw power and a desire to score. For five minutes, Sodbury matched their desire.

Leading from the front, Lee Ralph exuded muscular menace.

His effort was matched by Luke Cook and a resurgent Dave Guest.

This effort stopped any more scoring before the half-time whistle.

Early in the second-half, Sodbury turned the ball over on Frampton’s 22. It found Bradley who distributed wisely. Joe Horton stretched his legs and thundered down the touchline, showing huge strength to stay in play despite the attention of the defence.

Bradley was on hand to take his pass and barge in at the corner.

Just minutes later, Sodbury were back in the home 22, a quick tapped penalty threw the action into top gear.

Horton made 15 metres then the pack took over.

Man of the match Niall Kincaid tore to within five metres of the line. A quick pass from Tom Head found Cook on a charge.

Cook roared over the line in the shadow of the posts for a carbon copy of his try from last week. Bradley converted.

Sodbury’s purple patch continued. A towering leap by Cook at a line-out on halfway provided quick off-the-top possession.

Sodbury then stunned their hosts with three rapid rucks, which sucked in a number of defenders.

Bradley scanned the field and instantly spotted a dog-legged defence, evaded five tacklers and touched down for a try.

Once more Sodbury foolishly relaxed as they realised they had a try bonus point. Frampton battled back, scoring two tries. However, Sodbury managed to stem the flow to win.